A gardener’s emotions: part 2 – Despair

despair

It’s been a tough year for the brassicas! It is almost impossible to believe that last year I managed to grow some half decent ‘Mammoth’ cabbages and had a glut of cabbages. This year all the brasiccas were clobbered by pigeons and then the dry weather has caused lots of the cabbages that have hearted to split. A few caterpillars have sidled into the hearts of them but I had high hopes for the collards. These non-hearting cabbages that are so popular in the deep south of the USA were grown from seed I got from the US and I was looking forward to trying them. But now mealy cabbage aphid has moved in. I hate to spray veg but do I wait for the ladybirds to clear the problem? I could cry.

Despair

6 Comments on “A gardener’s emotions: part 2 – Despair”

July 6, 2015 at 7:13 am #

Don’t blame you

2. Steve
    July 6, 2015 at 7:14 am #

I wondered what that was. It’s all over my brassicas too.

3. Dan
    July 6, 2015 at 3:56 pm #

I know the emotion well. My cabbages were almost all clobbered by the monsoon weather of the last month and had to be pulled.

July 7, 2015 at 11:44 am #

Sorry to hear that. We had a monsoon yesterday and the weeds have doubled in size overnight – let’s hope the plants follow suit!

• Dan
        July 7, 2015 at 12:33 pm #

It’s looking like a mixed bag here. Since the rains stopped, most plants are really happy. Just a few devastations, but that’s the gardening life.

July 7, 2015 at 12:59 pm #

Ladybirds never seem to consume enough of the aphids anyhow! Same with frogs & slugs, thrushes & snails & dare I say it, poachers & deer!