At the weekend we finally moved into the house. Almost two years after we got the key – well took it out of the door since the key was in the front door and I never did meet the estate agent for the usual key-handing-over ceremony – we are in. And that means that when I get time, the garden will get a bit more attention (please). But as I have hinted before, a start has been made.
The front garden is south-facing with a gentle slope to the south too. From a bedroom window you can see the ‘lemon meringue’ garden which will be planted with yellow and white beyond which is the rose bed, a square formal bed for bedding and the genesis of irregular beds beyond. Right of that is a pair of formal beds backed by hornbeam – which has only been in six months so does not really show!
The same view, from ground level, with the two laburnums more obvious.
The two long borders end in a semi-circular bed. Not all the beds have been dug yet. I have been digging and planting patches, which is far from perfect but was necessary. I also still have to cut the edges of the beds.
Along the front, beside the road, some trees and scrub offer some welcome shade. I have put some magnolias in here and this will be a woodlandy garden, though I will keep the grass paths.
Looking the other way, north, I will keep the long walk. The rose hedge on the left is the only one that has established well and survived the grazing sheep. Not so much fun to trim though. In the middle distance is a mound of soil from the excavation of the three ponds – still to be lined.
The polytunnel has some hastily made beds just to get some toms in. They are not that special but as the tunnel only went up in May they have done well. Lots more to do here.
And talking of lots to do. The main pond needs a lot of work.
As does the area that will be the seaside garden.
But we are getting there slowly and looking at what it was like 18 months ago shows that it is all worth it.