Sculpture in Context

At the weekend I visited the Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin again and, by good luck, was there to see the Sculpture in Context exhibition which runs till the 16th of this month. Arranged around the gardens are more than 100 interesting, beautiful, thought-provoking, challenging and just-plain-odd artworks.

Here are some of those that attracted my attention for various reasons. There will be a second showing tomorrow.

Small Talk by Jackie Ball

Small Talk by Jackie Ball

A closer view

A closer view

Finglas Boys by Sophie von Maltzan. Finglas is a suburb of Dublin, not far from Glasnevin and Ballymun and is perhaps known for being one of the less wealthy parts of Dublin, with residents often keeping horses - i am trying to be politically correct

Finglas Boys by Sophie von Maltzan. Finglas is a suburb of Dublin, not far from Glasnevin and Ballymun and is perhaps known for being one of the less wealthy parts of Dublin, with residents often keeping horses – I am trying to be politically correct

Mega Flower by Lynda Christian

Mythical Beast by Sally Houston

Mythical Beast by Sally Houston

The Ball Keeps Moving by Deidre Crofts

The Ball Keeps Moving by Deidre Crofts

Swings Else Ringnalda

Swings by Else Ringnalda

Live Stream Nature Channel by Claire Halpin and Medeleine Hellier. I assume they are a removal form - otherwise how did it take two of them to do this?

Live Stream Nature Channel by Claire Halpin and Medeleine Hellier. I assume they are a removal firm – otherwise how did it take two of them to do this?

, ,

7 Comments on “Sculpture in Context”

October 8, 2015 at 8:13 am #

love the mythical beast and somewhere looks like a totem pole

October 8, 2015 at 9:24 am #

yes there was a similar piece in the same spot as somewhere last year – is that confusing?

October 8, 2015 at 8:16 am #

Excellent photographs

October 8, 2015 at 12:29 pm #

Delighted to see some of the sculptures. I usually visit at this time of year to see both sculptures and grasses. This year I will be unable to so its marvellous to see some. I agree with Joy, I love the mythical beast & the Totem. I would love a Totem for my own garden – oh well – when I win the lotto. I have thought of having a “go” myself! I wonder did you notice my Antler installation, which I call Revenge?

October 8, 2015 at 1:53 pm #

Yes the grasses were looking good. And I am glad I was able to give you a glimpse – more tomorrow! I must admit I missed Revenge! I hope you are having a good time on the IOM

• Meriel
        October 8, 2015 at 10:19 pm #

Well it is pretty much on duty 24/7!