Up close and personal 7

Just a block of orange was a bit mean but it was a crocosmia.

crocos

So how about this one?

cosmos very close

Look at the cluster of tiny five-petalled flowers with the five stamens poking up above the starry petals and then, as the flowers ages the two stigmas unfurl.

14 Comments on “Up close and personal 7”

October 3, 2015 at 7:30 am #

first clue …. is this a wild flower ?

October 3, 2015 at 10:31 am #

The first clue? OK – because this is a bit tricky: This is a plant from Mexico and is sometimes called the Mexican aster. But it is commonly grown and there are many varieties. It is an annual and the old types did not flower till very late in summer or even autumn but then the Sensation types were bred that flower all summer.

October 3, 2015 at 9:21 am #

πŸ™‚

October 3, 2015 at 10:31 am #

Does that mean you have got it? Look at Joy’s clues πŸ™‚

October 3, 2015 at 12:27 pm #

Well I hope I am right this time but only after your clues. I do know Cosmos hales from Mexico & there is a Sensation Mix.
    I visited a lovely garden yesterday were I saw that yellow Tropaleum – a few days too late!

October 3, 2015 at 12:30 pm #

I hope you took a few seeds – if not I can let you have some. Well done on the ident too πŸ™‚

October 3, 2015 at 12:29 pm #

Sorry to be cryptic. No, just smiling at my inability. Still haven’t got it.

October 3, 2015 at 12:41 pm #

Well the clues were pretty full proof!
    Yesterday I should have thought of orange & smooth petaled Crocosmia. I had never noticed the pollen aspect, perhaps because I have the narrow trumpeted one. I will have to pay more attention. A pity I didn’t know yesterday as the garden I visited had several lovely varieties. Milntown Gardens, Douglas, Isle of Man – in case any of you are ever here.

October 3, 2015 at 12:45 pm #

Well one day I will get to the IOM for the TT – it is always at the busiest time of year for me. But one day perhaps!

October 3, 2015 at 4:04 pm #

I just got home from bingo didn’t win and missed all the guessing today lol

October 3, 2015 at 5:28 pm #

sorry you didnt win! there is always tomorrow. There are a couple more.