Yay! Ripe tomatoes at last!

Late sowing and a chilly August meant I have had to wait longer than usual for a decent number of ripe tomatoes. I can usually expect them to start in July but this year, although there have been a few ripe to pick for a month or so, at last there is a choice and plenty! So here is a photo of lunch the other day. (It was a mistake to put cut ‘Sungold’ tomatoes on the slices of mozarella – they look like fried eggs – and to sprinkle the balsamic – it looks like they are rotting!)

plate of toms sept

For some reason all my plants of ‘Rainbow Cherry’ have produced rather large, white fruits. It might not be what I expected but they are tasty and very nice eating. The ‘Golden King of Siberia’ (below) are a bit disappointing but the best are ‘Berkeley Tie Dye’ and, of course, ‘Sungold’. Growing so many varieties is proving interesting. Some I will not grow again but ‘Berkeley Tie Dye’ is a winner so far with compact growth, lots of large fruits and a good flavour. ‘Sungold’ I will grow until the day I die.

tom golden king of siberia

There are lots more green fruits to come so fingers crossed for some more warm weather.

plate of toms sept2

, ,

11 Comments on “Yay! Ripe tomatoes at last!”

September 10, 2014 at 7:51 am #

it amazes me that outdoor tomatoes ripen as quickly as indoor . my greenhouse toms were a flop again . but outdoor toms loaded

September 10, 2014 at 10:00 am #

Well greenhouse toms should not get blight, which is a good reason to grow them – and they should ripen earlier – but I think my problem is that I grew too many big ones this year. I am sorry to hear your greenhouse toms didnt do well

2. digwithdorris
    September 10, 2014 at 8:20 am #

Lovely to have a mix of varieties as they look so pretty on the plate. Hope they taste as good as they look.D.

3. Chloris
    September 10, 2014 at 8:02 pm #

I think I managed to like it this time and not reblog it.
    Your tomatoes look wonderful. I did think the first one was a fried egg at first glance. But growing different coloured tomatoes makes a wonderful looking plateful.

September 11, 2014 at 11:09 am #

🙂 LOL yes i will need to take another photo with a bit more thought and leave out the cheese!

4. Jane Powers
    September 11, 2014 at 10:13 am #

The toms you sent me have been providing a steady stream of fruits for the last few weeks. ‘Green Grape’ was the first of yours to ripen. I’ll definitely grow it again. It was surprisingly tomatoey and juicy.

September 11, 2014 at 11:09 am #

I am glad they did well. Oddly my Green Grape have been a bit disappointing so I am glad you did well with it 🙂

5. Jane Powers
    September 11, 2014 at 2:40 pm #

I find that different toms seem to produce different results for different people. I suppose that watering, soil, feeding, climate and so on affect things hugely. Even in my own small growing operation, I get very different results depending on whether the plants are grown.

6. Benjamin
    September 12, 2014 at 2:42 am #

Beautiful! And tasty, I hope! Cheers!