Vegetable in circles – but no onion rings

It seemed like a mad idea in March and I was starting to wish I was sowing all my veg in rows this year when the beetroot germinated poorly and I was worried that my calculations of how many plants I would need for my beds of flowers and veg in circles looked like they were falling short. But now, as the plants are growing and the patterns are becoming clear, all is well.

kale beds

A ring of parsley surrounds ‘Peacock’ kale and ‘Bolshoi’ kale around pelargonium ‘Lord Bute’. Around that is a circle of home-saved antirrhinum ‘Constantine’.

There is no real tactical reason for growing the flowers and veg in circles except that I hope it will look nice. Last year the beds had rows of veg and flowers and it looked fine. But I suppose gardening is all about pushing the boundaries and I wanted to try something different. Making the beds match and wanting some plants to appear in all the beds meant they had to be veg we could use lots of so beetroot and parsley had to be the main veg plus lettuce which I am growing in several varieties.

perilla bed

A ring of beet surrounds a rich planting of red and green perilla and antirrhinum ‘Black Prince’ with a canna in the centre. All surrounded with ‘Constantine’ antirrhinums.

They have been more fiddly to plant than in rows and weeding is a bit slower but now that they are starting to close in and cover the soil the plants will need less weeding (I hope).

veg beds june

Outer beds are all circled with contrasting antirrhinums and parsley and inner beds ringed with beetroot in various colours.

9 Comments on “Vegetable in circles – but no onion rings”

June 16, 2014 at 6:16 pm #

I like it shall try myself next year

2. lizard100
    June 21, 2014 at 9:47 pm #

Reblogged this on Green Lizard's Blog and commented:
    This is a brilliant idea! It looks really beautiful!

3. lizard100
    June 21, 2014 at 9:48 pm #

This is so brilliant. How did you decide which veg to put in each one?

June 21, 2014 at 9:51 pm #

Well I wanted something that would be longlived for the main circles so I chose beetroot for most – it can be thinned out throughout the season. And parsley was the others. The centres are filled with other veg and flowers and I tried to colour theme things. I will be posting more pics in the next week or so as the plants are growing and looking better.

• lizard100
        June 21, 2014 at 9:54 pm #

It’s really looking great!

June 21, 2014 at 9:56 pm #

Thank you – hopefully the next set of pics will look even better. Thank you for commenting 🙂 I appreciate it.

4. chevaliascookingwithnature
    June 21, 2014 at 10:34 pm #

Your garden looks amazing. Definitely will give this a try.

June 21, 2014 at 10:46 pm #

thank you 🙂 I will update the veg post in the next few days so you can see how it is progressing

5. lindaswildlifegarden
    June 22, 2014 at 7:46 am #

awesome idea thank you for sharing have a blessed day