Don’t try this at home

A while ago, I did a post about something nasty I had found on the internet: a nursery that was growing lovely roses for cut flowers and then dipping them in scented wax and sprinkling them with vermicelli in an attempt to make them look more like cupcakes. Personally I am not a fan of cupcakes – boring sponges piled high with obscenely coloured transfats and sugar, so I was not going to like these poor roses.

Well the other day someone showed me a bouquet they had received and it included a couple of these roses. The bouquet was perfectly nice, apart from the roses, and I borrowed one to take a photo.

horrid rose2 copy

The large, cream rose is dipped in yellow wax and drizzled with chocolate-coloured wax. It is scented and smells a bit like chocolate.

horrid rose copy

From above it looks totally waxed so may be acceptable to some (not me) but from the side you can see the petals at the base of the flower. I am trying not to imagine the suffering that poor flower is going through as the petal bases try to expand the bloom, not knowing that the flower has been glued together with wax. I do not eat foie gras because of the cruelty involved and can’t see how anyone could get any enjoyment from eating it. It may taste delicious but so do lots of other things that don’t involve so much cruelty so there is no need to perpetuate this nonsense. I know they are just roses but this seems like senseless, and tasteless, cruelty to me too.

For more horrors see the last post:

10 Comments on “Don’t try this at home”

1. Bec
    March 26, 2016 at 10:15 pm #

this looks grim… mind you I hate dyed flowers too but this is worse.

2. Anne Cullen
    March 26, 2016 at 11:06 pm #

I agree, agree, agree.

March 27, 2016 at 7:58 am #

I had never heard of foie gras but have looked it up and am horrified and like Anne agree agree agree.

March 27, 2016 at 9:10 am #

Well you have not missed much – stick with goose eggs! I hope you got a few chocolate eggs this morning 🙂

March 27, 2016 at 10:05 am #

And I don’t even like chocolate much

5. Chloris
    March 27, 2016 at 10:25 am #

Yuck!

6. sueturner31
    March 27, 2016 at 3:15 pm #

Definitely with you on both, makes me cringe …

7. thelonggardenpath
    March 27, 2016 at 10:34 pm #

Who thinks these things up? And as Mr. Chef just said, “What’s the point?”