Perfect pelargoniums

pels oct

This blog is almost two years old and, nearly 600 posts on, I have hardly mentioned pelargoniums. This really is remiss of me because it suggests that I am not bothered about them and nothing could be further from the truth. I do not have an extensive range here but I rely on a small collection of about five fragrant types to fill gaps in beds and to cascade from pots. They are so easy to grow from cuttings, often have attractive flowers and they often grow vigorously indoors and out.

This year I used them exclusively in some pots and planted a mix and just let them fight it out. The pot above is dominated by the large-leaved P. tomentosum which has a spreading habit, small but intricately composed white flowers and a wonderful mint fragrance. Above that is the remarkable ‘Scarlet Pet’ which is a wonderful plant with scented leaves, a scrambling habit and masses of really bright flowers. If I were to pick just one it would be this one, though I would miss P. tomentosum. And the purple flowers belong to ‘Orange Fizz’ which has rather boring looking leaves but is strongly scented of citrus. In shade it does not bloom much but of stressed it can bloom abundantly as here.

In another area I planted some window-box-sized troughs with more pelargoniums. In the centre is the fine, mint-scented ‘Lady Plymouth’ and ‘Scarlet Pet’ is again dominant although there are also plants of the pink-flowered ‘Lara Starshine’ but the plants were stripped for cuttings last month so this hardly shows.

pels oct2

, , , , ,

10 Comments on “Perfect pelargoniums”

October 14, 2015 at 10:26 am #

where on earth has two years gone ……. thank you for all the posts I have had lots of problems sorted along the way. and enjoyed your many trips out . and hows sunny?

October 14, 2015 at 2:22 pm #

Thank you. Sunny is Ok but he is coming to the end of his moult. He looks a bit odd and has been a bit quiet but he will soon be looking his normal self again I hope!

2. ontheedgegardening
    October 14, 2015 at 9:17 pm #

I love a pelly! Was doing a lot of leaf rubbing at Rosemoor yesterday, delicious!

3. sueturner31
    October 17, 2015 at 10:41 am #

Wonderful…as you probably know I am passionate about pelargoniums. We went to Calke Abbey near us yesterday, they have an Auricula Theatre there and during the summer months they have it full of pelargoniums it looked stunning and I forgot to take a picture…. 😦

October 17, 2015 at 1:27 pm #

OH NO! well i just went to see a garden and it was not open so i think we are evens LOL

4. startingwithrufus
    October 19, 2015 at 5:38 pm #

Really want to grow some of the scented ones to flavour syrups and stuff with 🙂

GG x

October 19, 2015 at 6:12 pm #

I like P. tomentosum best and its big leaves are easy to place under a sponge to flavour it

• startingwithrufus
        October 19, 2015 at 6:16 pm #

I’m going to hunt some down! 🙂

October 19, 2015 at 6:20 pm #

Good luck with that 🙂 It is a beautiful and tactile plant with wonderful felt-like leaves. It quickly makes a large spreading plant and can even be used as ground cover in frost-free climates or in summer in frosty ones. I always think of the leaves as being like fairy blankets but then I am a bit touched! 🙂