It’s the most wonderful time of the (gardening) year

Well that is a bit of an exaggeration perhaps, because there are so many lovely times, but among the many gardening scenes that satisfy me, few are better than harvesting a bounty of tomatoes. It hasn’t been a bad year for them and the cherry tomatoes are still going strong but the big ‘uns are on their last legs – well the plants are. The fruits do not wait for me to pick them either and if you do not pick them at their peak the fruit flies move in and you end up with a nasty, wet mess and the smell of vinegar in the greenhouse. So I went through the plants and pulled up those that had few more fruits to ripen so I can sow some salads for winter in the gaps. This allowed me to fill boxes with beautiful fruits. Never mind the taste – I am happy just to gaze at them.

This is the third and last picking from 'Britain's Breakfast'. This is a superb cooking tom with thin skins and a dense flesh. Each broad truss has more than 50 fruits even when all the flowers do not set. I restricted most of the six plants to two trusses and found that if I let another grow there were not many more fruits - but 100 from each plant is fine!

This is the third and last picking from ‘Britain’s Breakfast’. This is a superb cooking tom with thin skins and a dense flesh. Each broad truss has more than 50 fruits even when all the flowers do not set. I restricted most of the six plants to two trusses and found that if I let another grow there were not many more fruits – but 100 from each plant is fine!

A box of orange toms including 'Janet's Jacinthe Jewel' (not a winner for taste), 'Nature's Riddle' (very beautiful) and the frankly weird 'Reisetomate'

A box of orange toms including ‘Janet’s Jacinthe Jewel’ (not a winner for taste), ‘Nature’s Riddle’ (very beautiful) and the frankly weird ‘Reisetomate’

A box of darker toms including big 'Vintage Wine', small, stripey 'Black Vernisage' and 'Black Russian'

A box of darker toms including big ‘Vintage Wine’, small, stripey ‘Black Vernisage’ and ‘Black Russian’

Another box of mixed toms showing some of the variety you can grow

Another box of mixed toms showing some of the variety you can grow

While other varieties are giving up, 'Sungold' is the tomato that just keeps on giving

While other varieties are giving up, ‘Sungold’ is the tomato that just keeps on giving

, , , , ,

6 Comments on “It’s the most wonderful time of the (gardening) year”

1. Jackie Stockley
    September 19, 2015 at 9:47 am #

Just loved the pictures, but what you miss is the wonderful scent of the tomatoes, going out to sniff my tomato plants now as I pick the last of the season and get them onto the compost heap.

September 19, 2015 at 9:54 am #

You are right! I relish the first smell of the tomato plants in early summer. I just wish they didnt stain your fingers so green – even if you wash it off carefully, as soon as you touch a white towel it is stained!

September 19, 2015 at 3:54 pm #

bacon and eggs with those lovely breakfast toms mmmmmm lovely

3. Anne Cullen
    September 20, 2015 at 5:52 pm #

WOW

September 21, 2015 at 12:36 am #

What on earth do you do with them all. Are you supplying a restaurant or what? I am very envious. However it must require a lot of hours with the variety of veg you grow and the different cultivars of each.

September 21, 2015 at 5:59 pm #

Well it takes a while in spring but less time now – though it will take some effort clearing them all out to make room for the tender stuff soon