Scent on Sunday

sweet peas june 152

I was worried that the sweet peas were not going to pull through the cold and wind of April and May this year. Although the ground was well prepared with lots of compost and the seeds were sown last October and were good and strong, the poor plants looked so miserable six weeks ago that I didn’t think I would be picking any sweet peas this summer. But I should have had more faith. The plants are now all at least 1m high and the flowers stems long and strong. Phew! Again they are grown on the ‘cordon’ system with one stem. I am sorry I can’t share the perfume.

sweet peas june 15

6 Comments on “Scent on Sunday”

1. sueturner31
    June 28, 2015 at 9:01 am #

There is nothing not even my roses that can compare to a fresh bunch of sweetpeas. 12 years ago I grew bucket loads of them for my son and his then to be wife’s wedding. we took them in buckets from Nottingham to Wales for the wedding and they filled the rooms with their perfume…. just one sniff and I’m back there.. great memories. Thanks.

June 28, 2015 at 9:10 am #

I agree. There is nothing like sweet peas – suddenly the pinks and sweet williams seem very poor in comparison. You were brave to grow your sweet peas for a wedding! No pressure there then! I am glad it worked out well. The great thing about sweet peas is that there is no guilt picking them – the more you pick the more you get πŸ™‚

2. growhort
    June 28, 2015 at 9:05 am #

I had exactly the same concerns with our Sweet pea collections a few week back they were looking very sorry for themselves! In just a few weeks they have redeemed themselves and along with some super flowers a heavenly scent. Thanks

June 28, 2015 at 9:10 am #

That is interesting that you had a similar experience this year. I am glad they have picked up and are performing well too πŸ™‚

June 28, 2015 at 12:03 pm #

im envious still waiting for mine . they look wonderful

June 29, 2015 at 11:04 am #

Gorgeous. I will miss mine this year. Normally they cover the ugly deer proof fence around my veg plot. However it was so cold early on that I never got any veg or sweet peas planted. The week the weather warmed I had to go away urgently & it never got done & now I’m away again. Too late now I fear! Just as well there is always next year!