Tulip: the late, late show

tulip pot ball2

Who would have thought that with just a month to midsummer’s day I am still posting about tulips. The cold, cold weather in May has not only held things back but spring flowers, especially bulbs, have lasted longer than I can remember. So today’s post must be to highlight the lovely tulip ‘Ballerina’. I know it has been mentioned before this year but these two pots are still looking so good that they merit a mention.

‘Ballerina’ is a lily-flowered tulip. It is orange but, on close inspection, the colour is not absolutely uniform so it has an extra dimension to the flower.  I think it has the perfect lily-flowered tulip shape, is a great colour, it is easy to grow and usually blooms the next year and it is fragrant too.

tulip pot ball

Things are not perfect in these pots: they face east and the myosotis have not grown enough to make the anticipated contrast but hey, the tulips look great.

, , ,

6 Comments on “Tulip: the late, late show”

1. Bec
    May 22, 2015 at 7:26 am #

Those tulips look great – any tips for growing tulips in pots (& keeping squirrels off-I need to try chiken wire)

May 23, 2015 at 12:16 pm #

Squirrels are a pest! I would suggest that a combination of chicken wire over the bulbs and a regular sprinkling of chilli flakes or a spray of diluted Tabasco might do the trick.

• Bec
        May 23, 2015 at 2:31 pm #

Oh chilli flakes/tabasco never heard that one. Thanks 🙂

May 23, 2015 at 6:56 pm #

Chilli flakes are useful to keep squirrels out of bird feeders too if you sprinkle them on your nuts

• Bec
        May 23, 2015 at 8:41 pm #

Oh thank you -. I’ll tell my chap – he’s in charge of the bird feeders as he’s the bird watcher (did you see I restrained myself from any dodgy puns 😉 )

May 23, 2015 at 10:38 pm #