Rudbeckia ‘Goldsturm’

Another great plant that everyone should include in their gardens – even if you don’t like yellow or gold flowers! This is a plant that has it all – including a long name: in this case Rudbeckia fulgida var. sullivantii ‘Goldsturm’. It is a plant of autumn, in looks and in its flower season. All spring and summer it is just a neat mound of dark green leaves but then it erupts in a cloud of showy flowers. The first blooms, at the tips of the main stems, are the largest but the sidestems open increasingly smaller blooms. The plant is about 80cm high, self-supporting, neat, colourful, free of diseases and pests (it can get a spot of mildew) and will grow and bloom happily for many years before it needs to be divided and replanted. It grows best in full sun and well drained soil. It will survive drought when established but obviously grows better if it is not stressed out.

rudbeck goldsturm3

This plant is two years old, showing what a great plant it is. It has had no attention this year at all – no watering, spraying or feeding.

rudbeck goldsturm copy

‘Goldsturm’ was selected from a group of seedlings of the parent species in 1937 by Heinrich Hademann at Gebrueder Schuetz Nursery in the Czech Republic and taken to Karl Foerster in Germany for propagation and distribution which did happen after WW ll. ‘Goldsturm’ was introduced in 1949 and has been delighting gardeners ever since.

Common? Yes. Bold? Yes. Good for butterflies? Yes. Hardy? Yes. Reliable? Yes. Good for cutting? Yes. Should you get one? Yes!

Geoff’s rating 10/10

Garden rating 10/10

, ,

9 Comments on “Rudbeckia ‘Goldsturm’”

September 4, 2014 at 7:28 am #

sold I will get one

2. Chloris
    September 6, 2014 at 6:45 am #

Reblogged this on The Blooming Garden.

3. digwithdorris
    September 6, 2014 at 10:32 am #

I enjoyed your scoring comments.D.

4. Meriel Murdock
    September 6, 2014 at 1:39 pm #

Unfortunately the deer also say YES! Or they did to mine this year. I will wire it early next year. Often it’s a question of getting through early summer it get it to a certain height. We will see next year!

September 6, 2014 at 2:25 pm #

Ah – i had not considered the deer problem! that is a nuisance!

5. Chloris
    September 6, 2014 at 3:38 pm #

Hello, I enjoyed this post but I reblogged it by accident when I was stabbing away at my tablet whilst staying somewhere with an intermittent broadband. I only just realised that I had done it. I still don’ t know quite how. So sorry, I have taken it done now. I never reblog anyone else’ s material I think it is rude and lazy. My apologies. By the way, I enjoy reading your blog.

September 6, 2014 at 4:48 pm #

Hello. No need to apologise. I thought it was a bit odd but I was not offended – it wasnt as though you were passing anything off as your own! Don’t worry – these things happen – sometimes I am just glad to have any internet at all! Thanks for your comments – I enjoy yours too 🙂

6. Meriel Murdock
    September 8, 2014 at 12:45 pm #

Chloris’s accidental re logging was my gain as it brought me to your blog which I intend to follow – for a while at least! Nice to find someone else gardening on the east coast of Ireland like myself. Enjoyed iris info. I hadn’t realised that there are repeat flowerers.

September 8, 2014 at 5:12 pm #

Well that is good then 🙂 I hope i keep up the interest so you keep on following! Where are you on the east coast then?